ALQST, an award-winning NGO that works to defend human rights in Saudi Arabia and the wider Gulf region, is seeking a creative, passionate, and hard-working intern to join our team.
As an intern, you will play a crucial role in supporting our work, whilst also gaining valuable experience of working in a professional environment for a human rights NGO. Interns can expect to gain hands-on advocacy experience on the national and multilateral level and will learn how to draft policy papers and briefing sheets as well as conduct meetings with political stakeholders and civil society organisations.
Duration: Part-time or full-time, 3-6 months ideal
Location: London, UK or remote (staff are currently working remotely)
Please see the job description below. Applicants should send in a CV, together with a one-page covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline to apply: Applications are considered on a rolling basis, but ideally we are looking for an intern who is available to start in May 2021.
Responsibilities (may vary depending on applicant’s skills and interests)
- Monitor and evaluate human rights developments in Saudi Arabia and the Gulf region;
- Provide background human rights research;
- Assist with campaigns and advocacy work at the EU, UN and national levels;
- Attend meetings with political and business stakeholders to discuss human rights in Saudi Arabia and the Gulf region;
- Organise events to brief policymakers, NGO partners, and members of the public;
- Strengthen national NGO partnerships through regular coordination and cooperation;
- Support social media activities and provide administrative support where needed.
- Undergraduate degree in a related subject e.g. Middle East Studies, Law, Human Rights, International Relations;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to work effectively and independently;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Awareness of security and confidentiality issues and appropriate precautions and safeguards;
- Knowledge and experience of Saudi Arabia and the Gulf region is desirable;
- Being able to speak and read Arabic would be a strong asset.