- Sex: Male
- Marital status: Married
- Date of birth: 1954
- Profession: Academic , Lawyer
- Place of residence: Medina
Arrest and jail information
- Prison: Dhahban Central Prison, Jeddah
- Manner of arrest: On his way home from a funeral he was surrounded by security officers and arrested with excessive use of force
- Charges: Disobeying the ruler; planning to start a political party; communicating with foreign entities
- Court: Specialised Criminal Court (SCC)
- Verdict: 20-year prison term and 20-year travel ban
- Date of verdict: 22 November 2011
- Arbitrary arrest/ detention ,
- Denied contact with family ,
- Torture and ill-treatment ,
- Denied access to healthcare
Violation detailsTorture and arbitrary arrest; , humiliation and use of excessive force during arrest; denied visits; non-independent judiciary
12 October 2021 - He was murdered in prison. He was beaten around the head and face with sharp objects, causing facial injuries and fractures to his skull that led to his death.
May 2018 - He suffered a stroke. The prison administration gave him the wrong medication before transferring him to a psychiatric hospital with the aim of damaging his intellectual reputation and giving the impression that he was mentally ill.
22 November 2011 - He was sentenced by the Criminal Court to 20 years in prison followed by a travel ban of similar duration.
02 February 2007 - He was arrested among a group of academics and clerics known as “the Jeddah Reformers.”